Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tennessee!!


First and foremost...I just feel that I need to mention how spoiled I am by my awesome husband. I cam home from work tonight feeling a little under the weather and not only did he greet me at the door with a hug and a kiss but he grilled some delicious chicken and cleaned up the kitchen! He opened up the entire night for me to rest, take a hot bath, catch up on some reading and drink tea and do some writing. He is so good to me.

I am pleased to announce that Jason has officially survived his first Johnson vacation! And it was not just any vacation, but one down to Tennessee to spend time with my Grandparents, aunts and uncle and cousins. He was outstanding! We drove down with my mom, sisters Kristi, Annie and Mel, their dog Jazmin and our dog Bailey. In short, he was the sole testosterone representation.

In that situation many a man would feel uncomfortable, have to try hard to make conversation or just plain wish they weren't there. But we are SO far past that and I absolutely love that about Jason and his relationship with my family. There are no awkward moments (besides the ones we choose to create!), instead it's a love fest made up of teasing, shared wisdom and mutual respect. It truly is a beautiful thing and I am so blessed that the relationship is absolutely a two way street. There are times that I feel the need to remind my sisters that they are in fact related to me and therefore should automatically be on my side!

The main reason we were down there was to celebrate my Grandma and Grandpa Clark's 50th wedding anniversary and it was a privilege and joy to have that opportunity. What an amazing representation of a Godly marriage! 50 years of marriage stands on it's own as reason to celebrate but when you recognize everything that they have been through and accomplished...I feel so incredibly proud to call myself their granddaughter.

With my grandpa's health getting worse and worse the past year or so, I wasn't sure that Jason would ever have the opportunity to meet him. I felt so accomplished, grown up...and grateful as I went up their front porch with my hand in his and introduced my husband to them. They loved him, and Jason kept telling me how great it was that he had the chance to meet them. I am so glad we had this opportunity!

One of the more difficult parts of the trip was a discussion we all had about impending events in my grandparent's lives. It was so hard because the child in me wanted to run outside, close my eyes tightly and cover my ears. These aren't things that anyone wants to talk about, but the beautiful thing about it is that it gave us a chance. So many people pass away suddenly and unexpectedly and their loved ones are left wishing they had just one more opportunity to see them and say one last thing to them. We were given that, and I could leave Tennessee knowing that I had told my Grandpa that I loved him so much and that he meant the world to me. I don't have to have regrets or any last wishes and that is something I am grateful for.

You know what's the last thing he said to me before we left? "I'll see you soon."


1 comment:

  1. This was so beautiful and I read it aloud to your Father, he was impressed! I will pass your site on to Grandma in the morning, she will enjoy it so much.
    Jason was SUCH a trooper, I would travel with him anywhere :)
    I am so glad that the feeling is mutual, we sure love your husband!

    ReplyDelete