Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This recipe is seriously delish. It's quick, easy and so flavorful! I wish I had taken pictures of what our's looked like (something I'm going to be better about!) or even better, Jason's face while eating and enjoying. Two thumbs up from the husband!

Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Italian Sausage Sauce Recipe

2 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 pound spicy or hot Italian sausage, casings removed

1 cup whipping cream
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1 Tbsp dried sage

3/4 pound fettuccine

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add sausages and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up the sausages a bit, about 5 minutes. Add cream; simmer 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices. Add sage. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
3 Return pasta to same pot; add sauce. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Serves 6.


I did make a couple changes to make it a bit healthier. I used turkey sausage which is MUCH healthier and tastes just as good, substituted the heavy cream for fat free half and half and served it over whole wheat linguine. Seriously yummy!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,

    First, let me say thank you for saying something. I appreciated your honesty & your comment!

    Second, I am truly so very sorry for your struggle to have a baby. No two stories are alike- so while I do have an idea of what it's like to wait, I don't know what it's been like for you to have to wait. Because it's your story- and it's highly personal & tragic & beautiful- all wrapped together. I hope & pray one day that the struggling comes to an end & you find your arms full with a child. I really, really do.

    Third, I am so incredible sorry anyone has ever made you feel like you need to just "suck it up" and deal with your struggle privately. That is horrible to me. I hope your friends & family & church are a safe place for you to be vulnerable with this very important & precious part of your life.

    I think a lot of times people don't talk about infertility or miscarriages or loss because we just don't know how to. We live in such a feel good culture that we don't know how to mourn. We don't know how to mourn privately or publicly. So when someone asks you, "Hey how ya doing?" in passing- the response is almost always, "Fine, how are you." Not, "I'm horrible." I think we think it's awkward to talk about how we honestly are doing when we're going through something that's just truly horrible. The social norms are very unbalanced: talk about things worth celebrating or complain & commiserate- but don't talk about earnest pain. Gut-wrenching sorrow. That goes too far.

    Which is so ridiculous.

    We need to be able to share all aspects of life- but then again- I think everyone sets boundaries for themselves as well. The women I personally know & love that are walking through infertility don't publicly share it. They share it with me and the women at my church but it's not on their Facebook status updates or anything. I'm not totally sure of why this is- but I don't push them to share it with more people than they want. I know for me, with other areas in my life that are painful, I talk about those with a select few because I trust them & I know I'm safe with them.

    When I was waiting to become a mother I promised myself I'd remember the pain & sorrow that brought me there. I promised myself that I'd not be a stumbling block to anyone else. But then my daughter was finally here & it became very, very difficult to not celebrate that in such a deep way. My family & good friends do not live in Chicago so for me- blogging, Facebook & Instagram are my way to share with them that joy. That joy of my long awaited & prayed for daughter. And yet- I feel the tension every time I post something anywhere- the burden that maybe someone on the other end sees it & is hurt by it. I'm so sorry if I have hurt you in any way. That was never my intent.

    Awhile ago this blogger did a beautiful & heart wrenching series on her journey with infertility- I thought I'd share it with you in case it brings any kind of encouragement: http://weyamwhatweyam.blogspot.com/search/label/infertility

    Take care,
    Kirra

    ReplyDelete