Wednesday, February 9, 2011


"The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
They are planted in the house of the Lord;
they flourish in the courts of our God.
They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green,
to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my Rock and there is no unrighteousness in Him."
Psalms 92:12-15 

Jason and I have talked before about how when we're older we don't want to be like those people. You know the ones I'm talking about. The older couple that's cranky and seems to have a complaint about everything. The ones that can't stand that "newfangled" music and complain about drums in Church. Yeah, those people. 

We've decided that as we get older we will continue to grow and evolve. We'll never stop trying to be better at being the person God has called us to be and our faith will not retire. 

I stumbled upon these verses tonight as I searched through the Psalms for something that would speak to me. I received news today that my Grandpa Clark is not doing well and I just needed some Truth to encourage me. These verses remind me so much of my sweet Grandpa. Not only the parts about still bearing fruit, although those absolutely apply. One of my fondest memories of him is us discussing theology. I had been a student at Bible College for a year or two and all of a sudden my grandpa, a retired preacher, was asking ME questions. He loves to learn and wants to grow, and that's rare. 

The last part of these verses really sums him up though: to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my Rock and there is no unrighteousness in Him. Grandpa's life has always had a greater purpose and that is to reflect his Savior and bring praise to Him. He has taught me more then he'll ever know about what it means to live a Godly life.

Please keep my Grandpa in your prayers, that he would be comfortable and feel peace. We are confident about where he is going and rejoice in the fact that he will be with his Lord soon. He will be dancing on golden streets! 

Please keep all of us that he's leaving behind in your prayers as well. As comforting as it is to know he's going to heaven we are all losing a very important person in our lives. 

1 comment:

  1. You have always had a beautiful way of honoring your grandparents and I am so proud of your love for them. I have a picture of you in my heart, sitting with Grandpa in TN, at the table, just you and your Grandpa, discussing life and theology. What a beautiful and precious memory.
    Love you so
    Mom

    ReplyDelete